Friday, September 18, 2009

Is Relaxation a Waste of Time?


I just returned from vacation is Maine. I stay in a somewhat remote part of Mt. Dessert Island, so cellphone and internet access isn't readily available. It always takes a couple days to get used to be disconnected; once I do, however, I really like it!

Now I've been back for a couple days, and I'm already really missing not getting 50 emails a day. And I miss the hiking, afternoon naps, and happy hours. And the views. I'm attaching a couple pictures taken in and around Acadia National Park. It's heaven to me!

Being away reminded me about how important making time for fun and relaxation is. The more I relaxed, the more focused my mind got on what's important about my life and my future. I had so many good ideas; they just seemed to flow. Normally I'm so caught up with everyday routines, that I really noticed the positive difference. I made notes about my ideas so that when I got back to my normal life, I could take action on them.

Now that I'm home, I'm amazed at the insights I had, and the good ideas. It reminds me that I need to add more of that "do nothing" time into my life.

How about you? Do you find that you are always so caught up in the agendas of other people that you don't make time to breathe deep, let alone focus on what you want and how to get it?

Leadership is about having a vision and taking your life in the direction of your vision. "Do nothing" time helps you get clear, solve problems, work out the head trash that holds you back. Yet, we are all so busy that we push that special time away.

What ideas do you have for making time for "do nothing" time?

No comments: