Monday, May 26, 2008

Memorial Day 2008

This morning I briefly listened to a radio talk show. Unlike many other shows, it was "live" not taped in advance. The host asked people to call in with the names of loved ones who died in the service of my country. He asked them to give their name, the war and say something about the deceased veteran. It was so touching, honorable and fit the meaning of this day perfectly.

As I listened, I thought of my father who was a disabled veteran. Though he was exempt from the draft, he enlisted anyway because he wanted to serve. Unfortunately, he was wounded in battle and lost his left hand and forearm. He received the Purple Heart, was honorably discharged and, since he could no longer do his pre-war work, attended college on the GI Bill. I could tell you many things about growing up with a disabled vet, but what I most want you to know is that my experience makes me ever-grateful to the men and women of the armed services who have served in the past and who are now serving my country. They protect me, my loved ones and my lifestyle.

In this war, women are serving unlike any other time. In previous generations, most women took on caregiving roles, even in the services. Today’s women fight side by side with their male counterparts. Like the men, they leave spouses, lovers and families and go to unsafe places like Iraq and Afghanistan. Also like the men, many have someone on the homefront, caring for houses and children and waiting anxiously for the return of their loved ones. In this war, for the first time, men as well as women are “keeping the home fires burning” and they jump every time the phone rings and live in fear of the dreaded knock on the door.

During this Memorial Day, let’s take some time to remember those who gave their life so that we can have the freedom to live as we want, pray as we desire, and applaud or criticize our government as we choose. And while we are remembering the dead, let’s say a prayer or send a good thought to those who are actively working for our freedom today – on or off the battlefield. They aren’t having a carefree barbeque, and knocking back a few beers or sipping glasses of wine. They are all hanging tough, trusting in our victory, and hoping they will see their loved ones again.

To all of you, I am grateful. THANK YOU!

No comments: